Apple Mash-Up Crumble
Use any fresh or frozen seasonal fruit to add to this delicious crumble such as blueberries, cranberries, cherries s or peaches. The apple mixture and the topping can even be made ahead and stored separately in the refrigerator - bonus when looking for dessert ideas that will feed a crowd but don't have enough time to make the day of.
- 10 cups chopped apples (preferably 3 types such as Empire, Courtland, Northern Spy, Honey Crisp, Fuji or Mutsu), cut in 1-inch chunks, skins left on
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Rind of ½ lemon
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1½ cups brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¾ cup butter
- 1½ cups almonds and hazelnuts, chopped
- In a large heavy-bottom pot over medium heat, cook apples, sugar, lemon juice and lemon rind for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring gently to prevent burning. Remove from heat and let cool. (Apples should be soft, but not applesauce.) Remove lemon rind and discard.
- In a bowl, mix together flour, sugar and cinnamon. With your hands, rub in butter. Add nuts and mix well.
- Spread the apple mixture a large 8 x 12-inch ovenproof baking dish. Spoon seasonal fruit over the apple mixture. Spoon topping mixture over the fruit.
- Bake in 350°F oven for 45 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipping cream.
These Products Are Perfect For This Recipe:
Makes 10 to 12 servings
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.