Apple Honey Cardamom Cake
A lot of people return to baking in the fall and perhaps that’s why I have an abundance of apple recipes. It also may be that I live in southern Ontario (and come from Quebec) where the apples are plentiful. This cake is just another excuse to buy apples from September to the spring months. Perfumed with exquisitely aromatic cardamom, this golden hued cake is the meaning behind the saying, “the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.” I like to eat raw apples all the time, but they really do shine in this cake, supported by the tender batter and nudged by the accompaniment of honey and spice. - Daphna Rabinovitch, from The Baker In Me (published by Whitecap Books, 2016)
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup honey
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened (4 oz/125 g)
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup sour cream or yogurt, at room temperature
- 1 cup peeled chopped apples (about 1 apple)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease the bottom and sides of an 8 1/2 inch (22 cm) or 9-inch (23 cm) springform pan. Line the bottom of the pan with a round of parchment paper cut to fit; set aside.
- Topping: In a bowl, combine the almonds, sugar and flour. Add the butter: with your fingertips, rub the butter into the mixture until crumbly.
- Cake: Whisk together the flour, baking powder, cardamom, baking soda and salt in a bowl until the dry ingredients are thoroughly combined; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or using a hand-held mixer, beat together the honey and butter, scraping down the sides of the bowl occasionally, until smooth and no lumps of butter remain, about 3 minutes. One at a time, beat in the eggs, beating well after the first addition before adding the second. Beat in the vanilla. Remove the bowl from the stand. Using a wooden spoon, alternately stir in the flour mixture with the sour cream, making three additions of the flour and two of the sour cream. Gently fold in the apples. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the batter. Place the cake pan on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake in the center of the preheated oven until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 55–60 minutes. Cool the cake in the pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Unmould and cool, parchment paper side down, on a wire rack.
Makes 12 servings
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.