Tart and Spicy Green Mango Salad
I make this salad often because it’s extraordinarily delicious. Fully mature green mangoes sold at Asian or Latin grocers are harvested for their crisp texture and sweet-tart flavor. They’re optimal. Mangoes sold at supermarkets are often significantly underripe, and these underripe mangoes are great to use here. Select mangoes that are hard and firm and do not give when pressed with your thumb. If not using them immediately, refrigerate to prevent them from ripening and softening. Finally, taste a piece of mango before making the dressing. Mangoes vary widely in flavor, and you’ll want a handle on its baseline sweetness before adjusting the lime, sugar, and vinegar in the dressing - Cameron Stauch, Author, Vegetarian Vietnam, Penguin Random House, 2018
- 2 unripe green mangoes (about 1½ lbs), peeled and cut into matchsticks
- ¼ cup jicama or Asian Pear, cut into matchsticks (1 cup)
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp fresh lime juice
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 fresh red Thai bird chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 cup Thai basil leaves, large leaves roughly cut or torn
- 1⁄3 cup mint leaves, large leaves roughly cut or torn
- 2 to 3 tbsp roasted unsalted peanuts, roughly chopped
- Crispy fried onions (store-bought or homemade)
- Prepare the crispy fried onions, if making homemade.
- Place the green mango and jicama matchsticks in a medium bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, water, rice vinegar, soy sauce, lime juice, and salt. Stir to fully dissolve the sugar. Mix in the chile and garlic. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Toss the herbs into the bowl and pour the dressing over the mango and jicama. Mix well.
- Place the salad in a serving dish and garnish with the peanuts and crispy onions, if using. (Add another tablespoon of chopped roasted peanuts if not using crispy fried shallots.)
These Products Are Perfect For This Recipe…
Makes 4 servings
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.