MARCH BREAK CAMP: Fundamentals of Cooking
- Monday, March 11, 2019 - Friday, March 15, 2019
11:00 am - 2:00 pm
Our March break prep school fundamentals program starts at the beginning to help students decipher the confusing world of cooking. Based on our popular adult program, this 5-day camp, for kids aged 10 – 14 is designed to expand your skills in the kitchen with a trained instructor at your disposal.
This program is designed for students who want to start from scratch. Beginners in the kitchen will learn the basics and come away with confidence to cook independently. Those with some experience will broaden their culinary knowledge, hone their skills and acquire valuable tips and insight so they can take their culinary adventures to a new level. Choose from a full week or daily camps.
What Will I Learn?
- professional knife-handling techniques;
- how to select and cook meat, fish and vegetables;
- how to saute, simmer, grill, roast, braise and pan fry;
- proper use of cookware and essential kitchen tools;
- recipes and methods for soups, stocks, sauces, appetizers, entrees, salads and more;
- use of herbs and spices, understanding basic flavours and complex flavour profiles;
- menu and time planning;
- tricks of the trade from seasoned professionals.
Each 3 hour session combines the instructor’s lecture and demonstration with individual hands-on execution of recipes that feature essential techniques in modern cooking. You and your fellow cooking comrades will enjoy a meal and have a chance to engage in an informal discussion on techniques and culinary topics.
MONDAY – Lesson: It’s All About The Knife Recipes: Rustic Zucchini Pasta with Caramelized Onions, Tropical Fruit Salad with Vanilla Ice Cream
TUESDAY – Lesson: A Reason To Season Recipes: Brined Chicken with Homemade Nachos, Salted Chocolate Chip Cookies
WEDNESDAY – Lesson: Fun With Eggs Recipes: French Omelettes with Boursin, Cheese & Herb Souffles, Chocolate Meringue Cookies
THURSDAY – Lesson: More Than Just Grains Recipes: Popeye’s Power Bowl, Pumpkin Walnut Chocolate Chip Muffins
FRIDAY – Lesson: Sauce Is The Boss Recipes: Homemade Macaroni & Cheese, Take-home Tomato Sauce, Homemade Scones with Rhubarb & Berries
What To Expect In Our Hands-On Class: Great cooking is about more than recipes—it’s about techniques. In our classes you’ll work together with other students in a fun, hands-on environment led by our professional chef instructors.
- Classes are 2 1/2 to 3 hours, unless otherwise noted above
- You will work with other students in groups up to 4
- Hands-on classes are limited to 12
- You will be standing, cooking and working for most of the class
- Please wear comfortable, closed-toe shoes and have long hair tied back
- You will enjoy a generous taste of every dish
- Students receive a coupon good for 15% off in-store purchases the day of class