Ready For Some Spring Cleaning
With the college/university school year coming to a close shortly, my daughter and I have decided to participate in the KW Cleanse for the next 10 days. It’s an annual event hosted by True Wellness Integrative Health Centre and brings together individuals and businesses that inspire health and wellbeing. The Health Expo is Thursday April 20 from 6-9 pm at City of Kitchener Rotunda with the cleanse challenge April 24 – 30th. Our goal “Progress Not Perfection”.
Now don’t get me wrong, I’m and equal opportunity foodie – I don’t believe in “good” and “bad” foods, but sometimes we all need a reset. Too much of everything can never be a good thing and with lots of “procrasti-baking” happening at our house during exam time, Darcy and I thought it was as good a time as any to participate. It’s a whole foods approach that will last 10 days (we can handle that) but of course we must eliminate a few things such as alcohol, refined sugar and gluten. It’s important to take care of our physical bodies, no matter the size, shape or age. Eating meals full of vegetables, fruits, grains, nuts, seeds and well-sourced proteins is just good for you. We have begun our meal planning and have come up with five must-do’s:
- Start the day off with a good, not too sweet breakfast. A little prep on weekends to make this happen, but starting the day with a meal high in fibre and protein will reduce sugar cravings later in the afternoon.
- Eating lots of vegetables – A goal for getting those 5 to 10 a day in.
- Cook from scratch – Not a problem in our house, but meal planning will help ensure success.
- Incorporate a healthy snack that we can use to replace our daily afternoon tea and cookie regime.
- Enjoy our food and be grateful for abundance – we will focus on what we have rather than what’s missing.
Today’s recipe is one we have been trying at home. We will make a batch of rice to last us the week and keep some things stocked in our pantry and freezer like avocado oil, toasted nuts and seeds, frozen kale and berries.